STONE FRAGMENT WITH CARTOUCHE OF HATSHEPSUT
STONE FRAGMENT WITH CARTOUCHE of HATSHEPSUT
Fragment carved with large cartouche of HATSHEPSUT, ‘…Maat Ka Re… Thruth is the Soul of Re…’, at left sign of ‘fortress/wall’, was-sceptre below.
Ex priv. coll. M.B., Netherlands, thence by descent coll. M.d.J., Netherlands 2003. Extremely rare.
Dim. 16,7 x 14,5 cm. Mounted
New Kingdom, 18th dyn., c. 1498-1473 BC (date under debate)
Lit. C.H. Roehrig, Hatshepsut, from Queen to Pharaoh. New York, Metropolitan Museum 2005, p. 167, nr.90; P.A. Clayton, Chronicle of the Pharaos, London 1994, pp. 102-107. Hatshepsut was the first and only female pharaoh of Egypt, stepmother of Tuthmosis III, initially acting as regent for him, but by year two of her co-regency took over his position. Outstanding monument of her reign is the splendid colonnade-fronted funerary temple at Deir el-Bahari